Software Asset Management, SAM for short, is one of the most important aspects of integrating and using any software in a business organization. According to its definition, software asset management is identified as “every infrastructure and process which is necessary for the efficient management, control and protection of the software asset in an organization all throughout its entire use.”
What is Software Asset Management all about?
The major points that software asset management covers are:
- Scope – Which refers to understanding the entire software infrastructure.
- Processes – Anything which has to do with aspects other than the technology of the software.
- Management – Protecting and controlling the use of the software from start to the end of its licensing agreement.
In general, the main aim of the SAM is multifold, as it pertains to the following points for software use:
- Compliance with rules and regulations for use of particular software.
- Reducing risk of penalties by ensuring that software use is well within the parameters set in end-user agreement.
- Preventing security breaches using the latest and most effective software security protocols.
- Minimizing risk of unforeseen costs which may arise while the software is being used.
- Optimizing investment by lowering the cost of using software as much as possible.
How to Get the Best Software Asset Management Services?
Despite the wide range of tools and technique in use, there is no easy way to comply with software user agreement without an in-depth knowledge of its intricate points. To many experts, SAM is above any technique, tool or technology being used.
There is an impressive set of skills and extensive resources that are required to cover the license models, titles and platform that are stipulated under the scope of the software end-user license agreement. Many a times, business organizations tend to have unrealistic expectations with SAM programming. Hence, it is important to understand the most common problems that can be prevented using effective and successful SAM strategies.
What Is Required for Successful and Effective SAM Process?
Keeping in mind the most prevalent problems faced by organizations that are unprepared to handle the extensive SAM program, here are the points that you need to avoid:
- Unrealistic expectations – Ensure that your SAM plan and program are realistic and feasible.
- Unidentifiable road map – There is an immense need for a phased approach which has clear-cut priorities set from the software requirements.
- Due diligence – SAM experts know the limits of what the OOTB can achieve as well as the range of changes that can be made using consulting and professional customization.
When the above mentioned points are taken care of, the SAM project becomes practically applicable easily.
Tips for Efficient and Successful SAM
Here are the most useful tips that help to ensure optimal and efficient SAM practices in any organization:
- No Single Solution – Currently, there is no single tool or technique that can display every single data required to measure any software user license model. Some tools work excellently for certain categories of software while others work better with the remaining set of software.
- Automation is Centered on Content – For effective SAM, content is an essential factor for success as it covers a wide range of aspects, such as discovery, license models, etc.
- License Models are Complex – License models can be fairly ambiguous and are dynamic. Hence, it is important to clearly understand the license model for any new software before purchasing it for use in your organization.